Holiday Treats Can Harm Your Family Pets
‘Tis the season where many of us have even more delectable treats around the house than usual, so, it’s a good time to talk about the potential dangers of pets ingesting toxic foods.
 
Let’s start with xylitol. Xylitol is a natural, low calorie sweetener that is being used in more and more foods these days, from cupcakes and candy, to mints, and even some peanut butter. Humans can metabolize xylitol without any problems, but it is toxic to dogs and cats. (Cats can’t taste sweet things, so dogs are far more susceptible.)
 
When dogs ingest a small amount of xylitol, it can cause their blood sugar to drop, risking hypoglycemia. Ingesting larger amounts can cause liver failure and death. Damage can start to occur within just 30 minutes, so if you believe your dog has eaten something that contains xylitol, you should seek veterinary attention immediately.
Share This Posting
LinkedIn
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Blogger
E-Mail
Gmail
Yahoo
Copyright © Coldwater Animal Hospital 2018 - All rights reserved
Web Design & SEO by Scriptable Solutions