NOTE: We are unable to accept new clients at this time. Existing clients with new pets will be accommodated.NEW HOURS STARTING 5/18/20
The holidays are a great time to visit with family and friends but can be a dangerous time for pets.
Holiday plants, unattended drinks, and Christmas decorations are just a few of the holiday items that can harm your four-legged friend.
Hazardous Holiday Plants: Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal issues and heart problems. Holly can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Many varieties of lily are toxic and can cause kidney failure in cats.
A Candle Burning Bright: Lighted candles and oil lamps can cause a fire if knocked over by paws or wagging tails. Keep candles and oil lamps on a flat, non-flammable surface far away from pets.
Oh, Christmas Tree: Be sure to secure your Christmas tree so that it can't be knocked over by your pet. If your tree is live, make sure the tree water doesn't spill -- stagnant tree water is a "breeding ground for bacteria," according to the ASPCA.
No Tinsel in This Town: Cat owners should be wary of decorating their tree with tinsel. Kittens especially love tinsel, but when ingested, tinsel can block the digestive tract and even lead to surgery.
Safe Snacking: Chocolate is dangerous for pets, but so is the sweetener xylitol. Even a small amount is toxic to dogs and can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, and death. Xylitol is similarly dangerous for cats.
Skip the Spicy Foods: You may be tempted to treat your pet with leftovers. Be sure to avoid spicy and fatty foods, which can cause diarrhea and vomiting. Don't give bones to your furry friends-- bone fragments can break off and become lodged in your pet's throat or digestive tract.
Say No to Nuts: Nuts, including almonds, pecans, and walnuts, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even pancreatitis in pets. Macadamia nuts can make dogs seriously ill and lead to weakness, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia.